Employer Separation Response

When a former employee files for UI benefits, you have the opportunity to supply information to DEW regarding the reason the individual is now unemployed.

You must respond to the department within 10 calendar days of receiving the notification in order to prevent a former employee from wrongfully receiving UI benefits.

If the department does not receive a response, DEW will make a decision based solely on the information provided by the individual. An employer that fails to respond to a separation request may experience increased benefit charges and higher unemployment insurance taxes.

The easiest, most efficient way to respond to a separation request is through the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) or the UI Benefits Employer Self Service portal by clicking here. For tutorials or guides to help you through this process click here.

Note: If a complete response requires supporting documentation such as copies of warnings, violated company policy, or a letter of resignation attach the supporting documents. If you are filing online and are unable to attach files via email, simply mail or fax your attachments to the address or number listed on the form.


Responding through SIDES
The most convenient way to file a request for separation notice is through the free, secure electronic system called the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) E-Response. This application allows you to respond to information requests, attach documentation and receive a date-stamped confirmation receipt.

Because SIDES E-Response is a nationally-standardized format, you can communicate with multiple states in which you do business all with the click of a few buttons.


To sign up for SIDES E-Response in South Carolina, please register to setup your account.

Once your account has been activated, you can access SIDES E-Response here. Choose separation information, enter your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), State Employer Identification Number (SEIN), and Personal Identification Number (PIN).

If you have questions, you can access the user guide here or contact

If you are not registered with SIDES, there are other options to request separation:

Responding by mail

If you are not registered with SIDES, you will receive a Request for Separation Information Form by mail. Submit the completed form, within 10 calendar days, to the address of the local SC Works center printed on the form.

Responding through the Employer Self Service Portal
DEW's unemployment benefits system expands your access to the UI process, improving how you do business with the agency. To login to the portal and respond to requests for separation information (NET-101) for one or more persons applying for unemployment, click here. To learn more about the Employer Self Service portal and view guides to help you through the process, click here.


Auxiliary aids and services available upon request to individuals with disabilities at

DEW Logo
Legal | Privacy Statement | Disclaimer 
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Program. 
803.737.2400,  711 (TTY)

Para obtener ayuda, llame al 1.866.572.3148

Copyright ©, SC Department of Employment & Workforce | All Rights Reserved 
Auxiliary aids and services available upon request to individuals with disabilities 
Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)

Contact us if you need assistance understanding the language on this website

American Job Center logo