What to do if a former employee files for unemployment

When a former employee files for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits, you have the opportunity to supply information to the Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW) regarding the reason the individual is now unemployed.

However, you must respond to DEW within 10 calendar days of receiving notification that a former employee has filed for unemployment in order to prevent him or her from wrongfully receiving UI benefits.

If the department does not receive a response, DEW assumes the individual is unemployed through no fault of their own. An employer that fails to respond to a separation request may experience increased benefit charges and higher unemployment insurance taxes.

There are three ways you can respond to a separation request: the South Carolina Business One Stop (SCBOS), the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) or by mail.

If a complete response requires supporting documentation such as copies of warnings, violated company policy or a letter of resignation, attach the supporting documents to your response. If you are filing online and are unable to attach files via email, simply mail or fax your attachments to the address or number listed on the form.

  • Responding through SCBOS If you are registered online with the South Carolina Business One Stop (SCBOS), you will receive the Requests for Separation Information Form (NET-101) by email. Simply click reply, fill out the form and press send.
  • Responding through SIDES If you do not have an account with SCBOS or you usually submit information by mail, you can use a free secure electronic system called the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) E-Response. This application allows you to respond to information requests, attach documentation and receive a date-stamped confirmation receipt.

Since SIDES E-Response is a nationally standardized format, you can communicate with multiple states in which you do business.

Register for SIDES E-Response in South Carolina here. Once your account has been activated, you can access SIDES E-Response here. If you have questions, you can access the user guide or contact DEW at UI-email-ER-Registration-DL@dew.sc.gov.

  • Responding by mail If you are not registered with SCBOS or SIDES, you will receive a Request for Separation Information Form by mail. Submit the completed form within 10 calendar days and return it to the address of the local SC Works center printed on the form.

After DEW investigates the claim, it issues a written determination detailing its ruling on the claimant’s eligibility and on any point of law considered. If you disagree with the decision, you do have the right to appeal. Each determination letter contains detailed appeal rights and information. For more information regarding the appeals process, click here.